When is my child's first "regular" visit? What will happen?
The first "regular" dental visit should be no later than your child's first birthday or when they get their first teeth. We will gently examine your child's teeth and gums. X-rays may be taken (to reveal decay and check on the progress of your child's permanent teeth under the gums). We may clean your child's teeth and apply topical fluoride to help protect the teeth against decay. We will share information with you on healthy diet, those that promote healthy teeth and those that don’t.
We try to create a positive atmosphere in our office for all of our little friends. We avoid using words that may be scary. Here are a few of our friendly alternatives. Familiarizing your child with these words is a great way to help for any future visits!
We know little ones are often nervous about coming to the dentist, that is why we always invite parents to accompany their child to both the hygiene and treatment areas.
- Patient- “friend”
- Cavity/Decay- “sugar bugs”
- Fillings- “star”
- Hand pieces- “ sugar bug brush” or “ Mr. Bumpy”
- Drill- “Brushing”
- Suction- “Mr. Thirsty”
- Nitrous Oxide- “ Happy Air”
- Nitrous Mask- “pilot mask”
- Isolite (retraction method)- “nemo”
- Explorer- “tooth counter”
- Exam- “counting teeth”
- Prophy (cleaning)- “tickle your teeth”
- Curing Light- “flash light”
- EMLA- “tooth lotion”
- Etch (phosphoric acid)- “tooth soap”
- Sealant- “tooth paint”
- Varnish- “vitamins”
- X-ray films- “pictures”
- Snap-a-ray (x-ray holder)- “popsicle stick”
- Bands- “rings”
- Crowns- “tooth jewelry” or “power ranger”
- Shot/Local Anesthetic- “sleepy juice”
- Pull/Extraction- “wiggle out”
- Numbness- “strange” or “fluffy”
Your child will love getting this fun letter personalized for them from the Tooth Fairy. Not only is it fun, but it also helps educate them on the importance of proper oral health care and routine visits to the Tooth Fairy’s friend, the dentist.
Personalized Coloring Book
Your child will love having their own personalized coloring book from the dentist, and they can use it for years to come or you can preserve it in their scrapbook or baby book. It is fun and easy to use, try it yourself by clicking on one of the coloring books below.